Are you trying to find a rewarding job that lets you be creative? Do you ever wish you could get a quick education that would allow you to make a real paycheck? When you’re a welder, you can do just that! All you need to do is check out welding schools in Miami, FL and get started. Welders with certifications get the best jobs, so don’t wait. You can become a professional welder in less than a year.
Before you get started, you have to make sure you’re eligible to enroll for training. Some schools require you to have at least passed the tenth grade, but it’s advised that you have a high school diploma or a GED to get accepted. Candidates with these qualifications are usually considered and admitted first, so if you haven’t completed at least a GED, you might want to go ahead and do that before applying for a program.
List of Welding Programs in Miami, FL
- Earn your bachelor’s degree, associate degree, or undergraduate certificate online with Penn Foster College.
- Penn Foster College also offers individual courses online that allow you to earn credits toward a degree or learn new skills. Choose from courses in business, education, math & science, and more.
- Nationally accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC) and licensed by the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education.
- The American Council on Education's College Credit Recommendation Service (ACE CREDIT) has evaluated and recommended college credit for many Penn Foster College courses.
- At only $79 per credit, Penn Foster College offers affordable tuition with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Auto Repair Technician
- HVACR Technician
- Motorcycle Repair Technician
- And more...
At Universal Technical Institute (UTI), you won't just train for a career. You'll train for success. The hands-on training and high-tech skills you'll get at UTI can put you on the fast track toward a rewarding career as a professional technician. Across the nation, you'll find UTI-trained technicians working in great jobs with leading manufacturers, dealerships and repair shops.
- HVAC/R with PLC - Diploma
- Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (11-month diploma program)
Application Process & Costs
Once you find a school and can meet their minimum requirements for entry, you’ll have to fill out an application. Be sure to check for any fees involved. You might be required to take the TABE, or Tests of Adult Basic Education, and score high enough to get into the school you choose. This is normal for any Florida institution that offers postsecondary programs of 450 or more clock hours. Pay attention to tuition costs and what you get for the money.
Online programs for Certified Welding Inspector, or CWI, are offered by the American Welding Society. These courses are great for students who don’t have a lot of extra time to attend classes in person.
Either before or after you attend welding school in Miami, Florida, you can get a lot of experience under a qualified welder by applying for an apprenticeship. You’ll gain hands-on experience in as little as 4 months, depending on how intense the apprentice program lasts.
To complete your welding certification test, you should check out the American Welding Society (AWS) for helpful tips on how to pass the Certified Welder or the more difficult Certified Welding Inspector test. Certified Welders can apply for just about any welding job in any industry you want.
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
Licensed welders in Miami need to submit certification maintenance forms every six months as required by the Code of Acceptance. When it is verified on the maintenance form that you still perform the same type of welding as you originally tested for, your certification will remain in effect. If your renewal is submitted past the 30 day extension allowed by the state, and within 160 days of the expiration date of your license, an additional late fee will be added. If you don’t renew after 160 days, your welder certification cannot be renewed.
Salary & Job Prospects
According to Indeed.com, a TIG welder with a certificate in Miami can make $50,000 per year. Your salary can increase by thousands of dollars with a welding degree, as this takes more time and education to get. If this isn’t incentive enough to go to welding school, what is? Salaries for welders can vary, depending upon their certification. You can go into TIG, MIG, ARC, Underwater or Laser welding. Each specialty offers their own challenges and their own pay grades.
When you have the education and the drive, nothing can stop you from being successful. Welding is a profession that offers you a multitude of specializations. With the right school and the license to work in an exciting, ever-changing job, your career can take off in directions you never expected.