Living a meaningful life is a goal we all wish to accomplish in life, and this has a lot to do with the type of work you do. After high school, it’s easy to find yourself yearning to get out, make money, and start living a life independent of your parents and teachers. However, today more people than ever are pursuing higher education. In fact, nearly 40 percent of working-aged Americans now hold a college degree. This makes it difficult for the remaining 60 percent to compete when it comes to getting the job they want. Spending the time and money toward a welding certificate, therefore, can be a wise investment.
If you have a high school diploma or GED equivalent, you can take the initial steps in applying for a welding program. While not required, it’s also helpful to possess the helpful industry skills such as:
- Close attention to detail
- Good math and science abilities
- Basic problem-solving skills
- High endurance
- Good interpersonal abilities
List of Welding Programs in San Francisco, CA
- Earn your bachelor’s degree, associate degree, or undergraduate certificate online with Penn Foster College.
- Penn Foster College also offers individual courses online that allow you to earn credits toward a degree or learn new skills. Choose from courses in business, education, math & science, and more.
- Nationally accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC) and licensed by the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education.
- The American Council on Education's College Credit Recommendation Service (ACE CREDIT) has evaluated and recommended college credit for many Penn Foster College courses.
- At only $79 per credit, Penn Foster College offers affordable tuition with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Auto Repair Technician
- HVACR Technician
- Motorcycle Repair Technician
- And more...
Application Process & Costs
Many are discouraged from the pursuit of a welding certificate because of cost, and this can be easy to understand. After all, a four year welding degree can cost as much as $16,000. However, there are less intensive programs that run as low as $3,000, and financial aid is often available to those who qualify.
Once you’ve made the decision to pursue welding training, applying has been made simple. Most schools allow you to fill out your personal information and other applicable information online. Your school of choice will follow up to provide additional details for admission.
People are busy, and if you’re already working or have kids, time can be a limited resource. That doesn’t mean you have to put your dreams of becoming a skilled welder on hold. There are a variety of classes being made available online, and this allows you to work on your studies whenever it’s most convenient. Some of the classes you can complete in the comfort of your home include:
- Blueprint Reading
- Nondestructive Evaluation
- Structure Fitness
- Welding Materials
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
Depending on the type of work you get into in the field, you may be required to renew your certification at regular intervals. For instance, if you choose to become a welding inspector, you’ll have to be tested once every three years as well as pay fees to prove you’ve stayed up-to-date in the industry.
Salary & Job Prospects
The current median pay for welders is $36,369. Over the course of the next ten years, however, there is expected to be an increase of around six percent in the need for skilled welders. With that demand, it’s safe to say that pay will also increase, making now an optimal time for anyone with the skills necessary for welding to pursue accredited welding programs that will give them a leg up on the competition.
Taking Pride In Your Work
In order to put your best foot forward, it’s important you are able to take pride in your work and feel as though you are truly making a positive change in the world around you. As a welder, you’ll be responsible for the construction of new and useful structures, allowing society to advance. The time and money spent pursuing a degree in welding is an investment that pays off in the long run.